Tottenham boss Antonio Conte is confident Son Heung-Min will recover in time to feature at the World Cup. The South Korea international sustained a fracture in his left eye in the Champions League tie against Marseille last week.
The World Cup is about two weeks away from kick-off, and players are warier of injuries than ever before. The leagues are heating up as competition for games and points continues to soar. Teams in European Leagues want to go into the break in good positions. With heightened competition comes a high probability of injuries.
Several players are already down to injury and set to miss the World Cup. If this continues, the World Cup will miss the brilliance of some top players. The World Cup is wobbling under the weight of the political undertones, and FIFA is to blame for all the troubles bedevilling it.
It is the most unanticipated World Cup, as the fever is yet to kick in. As Tottenham lost to Liverpool on Sunday to lose more ground on the league leaders, Conte expressed confidence in one of his star players Son Heung-Min to feature at the World Cup. The South Korean star underwent surgery for a fracture in his left eye.
Son Heung-Min could still feature in the World Cup
In the Champions League win over Marseille last week, Tottenham suffered a massive casualty. Son Heung-Min could not finish the game due to a head injury following a clash of heads. The injury puts the chance of the South Korean international making it to the World Cup in jeopardy. He is now racing against time to be fit for the tournament.
Following surgery for the fracture of his left eye, Tottenham Hotspur boss Antonio Conte has expressed confidence that the Spurs forward would be fit for the World Cup. Conte spoke about the condition of Son after his side lost 1-2 to Liverpool on Sunday. The Italian gaffer said the player was out of the hospital and remained hopeful of the forward making it to Qatar.
He continued that he sent him a message after the surgery and said that the forward was disappointed with his current situation, but he hopes that Son recovers well and can play at the World Cup. Conte also said he was a player and understands the importance of the World Cup to players.
Other players to miss the World Cup.
While Conte praised Son Heung-Min and expressed hope for him to recover for the World Cup, other players have not been that fortunate. Conte said Son is out of the hospital and is recuperating at home. Son is captain of the South Korea team and has scored 35 goals in 104 games for his country since making his international debut in 2010.
Son is one of several players to have suffered injuries ahead of the World Cup this month. Several stars, including the French duo of Paul Pogba and N’Golo Kante, are on the sidelines. Portugal forward Diogo Jota and England full-back Ben Chilwell are already confirmed to miss the tournament.
Speaking on the loss to Liverpool, Conte expressed his disappointment at the fans of the visitors who booed his team off the pitch at half-time when they were two goals down. The Italian gaffer asked that fans show a bit more respect.