Former Real Madrid manager set to thwart club efforts to sign Kylian Mbappe

Former Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane could prevent the club from signing Kylian Mbappe in the summer, according to reports.

Real Madrid are very focused on signing Kylian Mbappe in the summer and have a gentleman’s agreement with the Frenchman to sit down and discuss terms in June.

However, reports from France have emerged that Zidane could take over at Parc De Princes in the summer and this move could convince Mbappe, who Paris Saint-Germain want to keep, to sign a new contract.

Zidane has been on a sabbatical from management since last summer and is widely expected to be back in the dugout this year for either PSG or the French national team as Didier Deschamps’ successor.

Zidane has been linked to the PSG job for quite some time but the Parisiens opted for Mauricio Pochettino instead. The Argentine, who has also been linked with the Manchester United job, is also expected to take over at Old Trafford in the summer which leaves the PSG job for Zidane.

This situation could prove dire for Madrid whose only focus is bringing Mbappe to the Santiago Bernabeu as both Zidane and Mbappe have expressed wishes to work with each other in the past.

Zidane affiliations a possible lifeline for Madrid

RMC Sport journalist Daniel Riolo, earlier in the week, broke the news of Zidane taking over at Parc De Princes in the summer.

Riolo was one of the first to break the news of Lionel Messi signing for PSG which makes the Zidane news all but confirmed. Real Madrid will have a lifeline to hold on to, however, following comments from Zidane’s former right hand man at the Bernabeu.

“We know that Zizou is a Marseille supporter, we know the rivalry between Marseille and Paris but we’ll have to see if professional concerns win out,” David Bettoni, Zidane’s assistant at Real Madrid, said during an interview with BeIN Sports.

“Time will tell. Zidane at PSG? To be honest I haven’t spoken to him about the possibility but there have been a lot of rumours in the papers.

“What is certain is that Zizou decided to take a full year sabbatical, and as always, I support his decision. He’s the coach, the one who assumes the responsibility, who has to deal with reporters, the media, the players.”

Neymar facing backlash for off-field lifestyle

Elsewhere, Neymar’s lifestyle has received backlash from PSG fans who are worried that his partying will affect his recovery and his on-field performances.

The Brazilian is less than a month away from his 30th birthday and looks to be in a celebratory mood with his trips and partying as he recovers from an injury he sustained back in November 2021.

Former PSG winger and France international Jerome Rothen has joined the list of those critiquing the forward’s lifestyle away from the pitch, while questioning the club for allowing Neymar act as he wishes.

“He has put on weight without stopping, he is growing older and he does not have a suitable way of living,” Rothen said on RMC Sport.

“How can we accept that from a player, who has not yet played 50 percent of the games since the start of the season and who has, compared to other years, a lower goal-to-assist ratio?

“When you grow older than 30, your body does not recover as well as it did at 25 and when you do foolish things you put everything at risk.

“I blame the sports director (Leonardo) again because he manages the sports management – he is the one who decides everything.

“He is the one who gives the go-ahead for Neymar to stay in Brazil until January 9 and receive treatment there, rather than with his club.”

SPORTS PARTNERS

mwos-fc-300-2

SPORTS PARTNERS

mwos-fc-300-2

SIGN UP FOR THE MWOS NEWSLETTER

Get all the latest news and events straight to your inbox
Something went wrong. Please check your entries and try again.
Scroll to Top